* Understanding difference and building solidarity: a challenge to development initiatives
Mary B. Anderson;
* Gender, development and training: raising awareness in the planning process
* Working with street children
Tom Scanlon, Francesca Scanlon and Maria Luiza Nobre Lamarao
* Older people and development: the last minority?
* Culture, liberation and "development"
Shubi L. Ishemo
* The politics of development in longhouse communities in Sarawak
* What is development?
* Research into local culture:implications for participatory development
* An education programme for peasant women in Honduras
* Challenging gender stereotypes in training: Mozambican refugees in Malawi
Lewis B Dzimbiri;
* Defining local needs: a community based diagnostic survey in Ethiopia
Yezichalem Kassa and Feleke Tadele
* Empowerment examined
* Some thoughts on gender and culture
* Who is the expert?
* Annotated bibliography
Mary Anderson Mary B. Anderson is President of the Collaborative for Development Action, Inc., a small consulting firm based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. An economist, Mary Anderson has specialized in: rural development strategies that build on local capacities; gender analysis in development programming; the relationships between emergency relief assistance and long-term development; and educational policies as these affect access to primary education in developing countries