* Pre-history to post-colony: Indonesia until 1998
* Suharto's New Order The economy in crisis
* Reformasi and after
* Unity in diversity?
* Agriculture The struggle for land and resources
* Livelihoods away from the land
* Indonesia in conflict: the end of the nation?
* The future of Indonesian democracy
* Dates and events
* Facts and figures
* Further reading
* Oxfam in Indonesia
She has a long-term interest in the ethnography of Maluku, eastern Indonesia, especially issues relating to local forms of authority, community politics, and relations between people and state bodies in a peripheral region. Her doctoral thesis concentrated on Indonesian migrant organisations in Sydney, Australia, and includes work with migrants from Maluku both during and after the conflict which began in 1999.