- * Introduction
- * Pre-history to post-colony: Indonesia until 1998
- * Suharto's New Order The economy in crisis
- * Reformasi and after
- * Unity in diversity?
- * Agriculture The struggle for land and resources
- * Livelihoods away from the land
- * Indonesia in conflict: the end of the nation?
- * The future of Indonesian democracy
- * Dates and events
- * Facts and figures
- * Further reading
- * Acknowledgements
- * Oxfam in Indonesia
- * Index
She has a long-term interest in the ethnography of Maluku, eastern Indonesia, especially issues relating to local forms of authority, community politics, and relations between people and state bodies in a peripheral region. Her doctoral thesis concentrated on Indonesian migrant organisations in Sydney, Australia, and includes work with migrants from Maluku both during and after the conflict which began in 1999.