it has shown that it has achieved this aim. This article describes how PROFUND operates, who have been its investors and MFI investees, and what strategies are now being followed for exiting from investments. Several relevant experiences and lessons learned are summarized. PROFUND has faced
a number of challenges: particularly as many of the MFIs have suffered during this period from a poor enabling environment and unfavourable financial climate. Regular technical support for its investees was found to be critical in these circumstances.
- Lessons from successful Indian cottage firms
- Crossfire: Will electronic banking reach the very poor?
- Crossfire: Microfinance has upstaged enterprise development, and finance is now in danger of doing the same to value chain interventions
- Crossfire: Microfinance can serve the very poor, but does it?
- Building strong foundations for later livelihoods by addressing child poverty: evidence from Young Lives